Monday 9 April 2012

Put The Bunting Out!

 


Here we are; my Jubilee badges arrived in the post on Saturday. Along with a Stuff The Jubilee badge I got for old times' sake; seems funny to have a badge just like the one I had in 1977, at the dawn of the wearing-badges-as-a-political-act age, as exemplified by Rick Off The Young Ones.



Anyway.Nice though the STJ badge may be, it always struck me as a bit humourless. So if you feel like wearing (or simply owning) a mildly ironic response to the "silly Union Jack hat and kazoo" form that national celebrations can often take, then why not pop over to Etsy or Ebay, where you can get one?


6 comments:

  1. Wow, does this mean I have become more like Rick Mayell overnight? (I have bought one). I remember the Young Ones but when small my daughter loved him as Drop Dead Fred.

    I shall pin it to my hat when I am in St. Ives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your badge. I used to have quite a collection and strange to say I came across this great-way-to-waste-time site today: http://www.retronaut.co/2012/04/badges-1970s-1980s/

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's not obligatory, Bella. Though I think I may have had a reasonable amount in common with Rick (the people's poet version) back in the 80s.... my froend suggested I make one saying "I gave up wearing badges when I solved my identity crisis"...

    Those badges take me back, Anji -though they are a bit respectable! I used to get a fair amount of attention from the police because of the CND badge on the back of my van. The Nuclear Power No Thanks sticker that's on my present car passes unremarked, presumably because it's as much a period piece as the car...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Received my badge. I did worry that the message may be too subtle, but my son got it at once.
    I'll wear it with pride.
    Thanks Dru.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Received my badge. I did worry that the message may be too subtle, but my son got it at once.
    I'll wear it with pride.
    Thanks Dru.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My pleasure, Michael, and thank you!

    ReplyDelete