Tuesday 17 August 2010

fishing


James Russell wrote an enjoyable piece about trout fishing in America and about Trout Fishing In America the other day. And I thought it would be nice to read it again. So I did a bit of hunting, and found this first edition at Oxfam. It cost more than a paperback edition, of course, but it is a nice book. And it means that Oxfam get a useful-sized contribution to their funds, at a time when they really need it. And I get a really good book. A bit of a win-win situation.

Because it seems a bit ironic that I've been celebrating messing about in rivers at a time when Pakistan is having such awful trouble with floods.

Anyway, I mention this because it seems like a v good idea, because I hadn't known about Oxfam's online secondhand bookshop until now, and maybe you didn't know about it either. Here it is.

postscript: talking of Richard Brautigan, Andy Mc Carthy over on Flickr introduced me to this lovely Lovely Eggs song....




5 comments:

  1. I like the picture on the cover of the book and I'm off to check the Oxfam online bookshop - we don't have anything like that here.

    I love the video, who are they? Are they famous?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love video too!

    The picture reminds of the state that my computer desk is usually in.

    Melissa XX

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know how well-known they are, Anji; I'd never heard of them till yesterday, and am now a big fan. I was listening to their album on Spotify, and am thinking of buying it...

    It's about time I cleaned the desk, Melissa; there are at least three things that I really need and can't find anywhere, including that copy of Trout Fishing In America.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Lovely Eggs song sounded instantly like one I'd heard before, so maybe I had. The video is perfect. It reminds me of all the times I've heard myself say to someone, "You've never heard of...?!"

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love here accent, too, Larry; they're from Lancaster, just up the road from my family; and all my cousins and nieces sound fairly like that...

    ReplyDelete