Friday 28 August 2009

easy journeys to distant planets


It was a tawny owl calling that woke me up. AWAAKE! AWA-AAKE! I had been wrapped up in that two o'clock in the morning sort of sleep, but I know that owl, it spends a lot of time in the trees outside my window. I know exactly where I am, without having to think about it. I'm in the attic of the big house in South Wales, Ty Celyn, and it's some time in the early 1970s.

AWAKE! Some of the cocooning dissolves, and my senses are starting to tick off the landmarks of my personal geography. I'm in Bristol and it is now. Well, two in the morning, anyway.

I wonder if my earlier self felt my presence and shivered? -I was a bit afraid of things in the dark, back then.

It was funny being back there, and it would have been nice to stay for a bit and catch up with all the lost stuff, but you can't live in the past. As far as I know.


6 comments:

  1. I've often wondered if I 've intruded my past, that little shadow, was something there or not?
    I think we might have talked about this before, memories about moments, not 'events'

    We walk around the village before going to bed and sometimes are treated to the sight of an owl. Usually we just hear it and it makes a horrible screeching sound. Not the right kind of owl

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking the other day about trying deliberately to send stuff into the past, purely for the mercenary purpose of winning the lottery, but I decided that if I did tht and won the lottery then I would probably not bother to send the numbers back and then reality would go on the blink, or something. Yes, we have talked about it; little spots of time...

    I wonder what your owl is? -sounds like it may be a tawny

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's too dark to see, a light coloured shadow swooping against the sky.

    ReplyDelete
  4. the RSPB website is handy for listening to bird noises...

    http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdguide/name/t/tawnyowl/index.asp


    ...is there a french equivalent, I wonder? -of the RSPB, that is. By the way, apparently it's good owl-watching at the moment; the Downs birders are all off to Aust tomorrow to watch the young short-eared owls swooping around the reeds. And brew loads of tea and natter...

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's the Liverpool Philharmonic apparently! Who knew?
    http://www.lpo.fr/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Though this one might be better for vocab:
    http://www.oiseau-libre.net/Oiseaux/

    ReplyDelete