Tuesday 21 July 2009

socks

airhead

I have already described how, on Saturday, I drove to the Midlands and stopped for petrol and snacks, and the Finest Swordsman in France accidentally bought alcohol-free beer.

Yesterday morning I got a call from a Detective Inspector at the local police station, asking if I am the owner of green Morris Traveller, registration blah blah.

"Yes", I say, going into worry mode.

"I've had a report from the Tesco garage on Southmead Road that you drove away without paying for fuel. The CCTV shows that there were several people in the car, and that you went into the shop... do you have a receipt?"

I rummage in my purse. There is a receipt from Tesco. Hmm, let's see. Pringles, check. Cadbury's Eclairs, check. Cherry Coke, check. We like to eat healthily when driving, you know.

No petrol though.

The DI and I agree that the best thing to do would be to go along to the filling station. So I do, and the manager is nice about it, and I pay for the petrol.

Must look more carefully at the till display next time, evidently.

While I'm out and about, I pop over to the Cribbs Causeway shopping mall because I'm nearly there by now, and I want some calcium supplement tablets after learning about the leaching of calcium from bones that you get from drinking carbonated water (thank you, Larry, for alerting me to this problem).

So I get them from Boots the Chemist, and look for a pair of socks while I'm at it, to go with my ultra-comfy Conker boots. Which by now I am longing for, as I came out wearing smart (well, smart for me) pumps, as I'd been seeing someone at the bank earlier. And my ingrowing toenail was hurting like fury; I ended up taking my shoes off and walking without them. Though I put them on again when I entered M&S. Funny how it feels relatively acceptable to be barefoot while out and about, but I feel self-conscious about it if I'm in a shop.

I check out the hosiery section. Nothing very exciting. I look in the men's department, as I've not looked in there for quite some time, and I have big feet, and you never know, they might have what I'm looking for. Long socks, knee length even, to go with my boots.

There are some quite nice socks. They even come in pink. Crikey. I get some red ones though.

The woman at the counter smiles and asks me, "Are they for him or for you?"

"We'll fight over them," I say.




6 comments:

  1. Oooh er...Scary Petrol Moment. Had a run in like that once...I hadn't even been IN the petrol station they mentioned though...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought you would have been lynched at the garage at least.

    Pink is for young men at the moment. I’ve got my eyes on one of Olivier’s T-shirts, pale pink with a gold star on in.

    How do you think of such a good answer so quickly ? It would have taken me at least 24 hours.
    Caroline; My mum who is only 5’2” has big feet and so does Dom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a good colour, but the unreconstructed Blokes I used to know would have had Issues with pink...

    ReplyDelete
  4. To be cautiously both exact and general, the leaching of calcium from the bones is said to be due to an unbalanced diet, one measurably more acid than alkaline. Calcium tablets probably can't hurt, but would be more beneficial with a diet balanced by more alkaline foods, less acid-forming ones.

    Mainly--to avoid unnecessary pain---I'm learning to be more cognizant and conscious of the acid and alkiline properties of foods.

    I'm adding drops of Alka-life to my tap water for the alkalinizing properties of Potassium hydroxide and Sodium hydroxide (from the Great Salt Lake). I've even started adding the drops to evening cocktails of Scotch whisky with fresh lemon juice,
    for a better whisky sour.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Further research needed then, evidently. Though I don't have to use so many antacids these days, so perhaps my diet is improved from what it was, though I think a lot of that was stress related... anyway, thank you.

    ReplyDelete